This is a space for me to post the poems I write each day for National Poetry Month. For the past two years, I have established this practice and posted the poems on X (formerly Twitter), but now that I've moved away from that space, I've decided to have a dedicated spot for this work. Challenging myself to publish a poem a day is an intentional act. When I first began to do this two years ago, I focused on the production, but then, as I began to keep notebooks as a personal wellness practice, writing the poems became more about dipping into the writing I had already done in those and working with material there. So these poems are a celebration of the writing process more than they are any final product.
When Brett Vogelsinger launched his Go Poems blog seven years ago, his hope was to invite educators to share one lesson idea for each day of National Poetry month so that, after six years of curating the blog, there would be 180 days worth of poetry lessons for teachers -- an entire school year! That project led Brett to author Poetry Pauses and now he is writing another book! My hope is that, by creating this space for my own sharing of process, I might eventually branch out to discover how the voice here might lend itself to a broader project as well. What that looks like, I do not know. What I do know is that the project will teach me how to do the project, and that immersing myself in this process may lead me to form new understandings and clarity.
So, off I go...
No comments:
Post a Comment