Monday, April 21, 2025

April 21: For What It's Worth


Well, for what it’s worth, he said on the phone

Happy Valentine’s Day. I wanted to say then

but didn’t: It’s not worth much, and neither

is any of whatever this is we’re doing.

When I hung up the phone, I don’t recall

saying to myself in that exact moment

that if ever I had a daughter one day

she would never tolerate such insults.

Is it fortunate I never had a daughter?

I don’t know if, now, even I’d be able

to stomach such new levels of stupidity.

What I do have is four sons who always,

every Valentines Day, make me something:

a poem, a song, a picture, a bookmark. 

For what it’s worth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

April 30: At Ithaca Falls

  A photo that wasn’t supposed  to be taken, a snapshot off kilter  demands self compassion,  the crepey neck lines   the broadness of a fac...