Wednesday, April 22, 2026

April 22: Poems

 


Poetry returned 

in menopause

reunited white space 

expanse of words 

awaiting kinder reception 

of a brain besotted… 


I’d built success on consuming words,

armored up: Know! Connect! Remember! 


Under all that armor lived my shame, 

the girl who read too slowly or not at all,

who stored up reading to hibernate awake. 


By the third poem, hearing my own voice 

was like wading into Lake Michigan, 

the current gentle, moving past and

pulling me back again, water-dwelling… 


How had I returned to this willingly? 

It took such self compassion, so of course 

it took forever. Why had I believed poetry 

was tied in with perfection? 


I weep today, such time abandoned 

but: I own the voice, know it as my own

writing I have to pour these pages out 

word by word to speak with myself 

unfold meaning absorb accumulations 

of love and life of who I am that much 

I’ve learned from poems.


Written beside “Locust” by Julia Alvarez

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 30: At Ithaca Falls

  A photo that wasn’t supposed  to be taken, a snapshot off kilter  demands self compassion,  the crepey neck lines   the broadness of a fac...