Friday, April 24, 2026

April 24: Brownies

 


I’m remembering again 

the day my dad drove me 

to the house of his friend 

whose wife had just died 

of cancer and I was ten 

a young ten but I believed 

in brownies and their power 

to heal grief when baked 

for this new widower 

and his daughter and son. 


I’m watching again as I walk 

up the steps to the ranch house 

the widower opens the door 

and I say I made you guys 

brownies then pass the plate. 


I’m memorizing the height of him 

in that moment his stooping down 

to hold the square-stacked dish 

his lack of words, intake of breath 

and I’m already down the steps 

and close to our blue Ford Taurus 

my father looking down at the wheel 

ashamed? 


The moment after the K turn 

and heading in the direction 

of home again and the doubt 

the disapproval of that urge 

to bake to make to bring to give— 


My body remembers that more 

than the goodness the giving 

the gesture which is what is 

to be remembered that in that 

moment I know now 

I did what was right.


Written beside “Balance” by Dorianne Laux

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 30: At Ithaca Falls

  A photo that wasn’t supposed  to be taken, a snapshot off kilter  demands self compassion,  the crepey neck lines   the broadness of a fac...