Monday, April 27, 2026

April 27: Abundance

 


I’m viewing the garden 

from a new angle this year, 

almost tenderly, a peacemaker, 

acquiescing, owning mistakes 

in this ecosystem.

 

Zinnias hunger for sun, so this 

is my to-do list, my inventory 

of how to love the world. 


From a window above I spy 

how high the tomatoes stretch

themselves. Again I’ve left them 

so little space to breathe! 


Lima beans need their very own 

row, a lineup, and I hear Yeats’ 

nine bean rows will I have there… 

(That’s a lot of beans for someone 

solitary in that bee-loud glade!)


Just one bean plant has me 

awonder, all that abundance, 

almost too much to envision, 

but I do, I see it now, sketched 

in my head, one faithful beanstalk 

reaching skyward in all its promise.


Written beside “This Year Peonies” by Marjorie Moorhead

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 30: At Ithaca Falls

  A photo that wasn’t supposed  to be taken, a snapshot off kilter  demands self compassion,  the crepey neck lines   the broadness of a fac...