Friday, April 18, 2025

April 18: Quesadillas

 

At the kitchen island

my son and I shred cheese,

chop chicken. He showers it 

with adobo, lime, chili powder. 

At first, we’re silent, syncopated, 

folding, laying flat our hunger. 

Then he tells me a tiny tale 

of a coworker teaching him 

to season it like this. 

After hours, before close, 

they cook there together, 

a work family. 

Here at home we sit, eat 

and I am seeing this 

as the easiest meal ever made, 

the two of us at our ease. 

I begin to see our lives 

like this: we let each other in, 

we sit, share these few days 

of winter to memory, 

our hearts’ timeless table.


After “Gathering” by Natasha Trethewey


No comments:

Post a Comment

April 30: At Ithaca Falls

  A photo that wasn’t supposed  to be taken, a snapshot off kilter  demands self compassion,  the crepey neck lines   the broadness of a fac...