Saturday, April 19, 2025

April 19: Revue

 

His part is baritone, mine soprano. 

our senior duet from that musical 

set in a Scottish village hidden in time. 

Spotlight strong, we clasp hands. 

I squint into his eyes, try so hard 

not to remember how in eighth grade 

he had been so very cruel, so cold,

sent me home to disappear myself

in a bed of tears for hours. Now, he is

crossing the stage to me, a serenader:

What a day this has been, what a rare

mood I’m in, why it’s almost like being

in love. And I see his kindness now, 

eyes that take me in, all of me as I am,

and we harmonize about the music of life

our voices well matched, stances symmetrical,

then clinging together, taking in the heather

on the hill and I understand. Only music 

can heal a wound like mine, could make 

a space for forgiveness, could make right

his failure of kindness. After, in the wings

we embrace, squeeze hands. Let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 30: At Ithaca Falls

  A photo that wasn’t supposed  to be taken, a snapshot off kilter  demands self compassion,  the crepey neck lines   the broadness of a fac...