Wednesday, April 30, 2025

April 30: Folded

 

When I arrived home on school days, 

Mom was doing laundry. I’d peer down

the cellar steps to greet her, I guess,

and she’d call back. I was a teenager

and selfish so as she folded my clothes

down in the cellar and stacked them

methodically on a makeshift countertop 

beside the slop sink, I pretended to be

doing my homework. That whole time

feigning studiousness. I was old enough

to do my own laundry, mature enough 

to know guilt. My memory now of her daily

footsteps up and down the cellar, echoing

off concrete walls, patches of grey paint 

chipped off, then later, blouses, jeans, crisp,

an aromatic tower atop my unmade bed.


Written beside “In Memoriam” by Leo Dangel

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 30: At Ithaca Falls

  A photo that wasn’t supposed  to be taken, a snapshot off kilter  demands self compassion,  the crepey neck lines   the broadness of a fac...