Monday, May 5, 2025

May 5: Pastina

 

I heard those tiny pasta stars 

have been discontinued: 

obsolete. I do remember

tricky semolina bits, pieces

sticking to chubby hands

brought fistfuls at a time.

(Screw spoons, forget forks!)


They spoke in toddler tongues,

squirrely cheeks, eyes on the bowl

and cast also in outspread wonder,

scooped up starchiness, intrigue

sifted, sticky, some crusting quick.

After, the kitchen cleanup awaited,

sink strainer nesting all the excess.


And the bathtub too, a trail of it,

all of it, littering barefoot arches

hidey holes in hairlines, secured

atop scalps and stiffened curls.


Even somehow they made it

into the crack of a backside.

How?! Some bitsy Barilla gnome

circling, akin to the tooth fairy,

aimed at each conceivable crevice?


So, I exaggerate, but I am the one

who wrestled them, cloth in hand

till the caught pieces fell loose,

the one who poured water again

and again over their heads like

John in the flinty River Jordan,

who scrubbed them clean, 

pastinaless, who dried them,

powdered and lotioned them,

held them close, read verses

until, sated, each fell asleep

beneath their own special star.


No comments:

Post a Comment

April 30: At Ithaca Falls

  A photo that wasn’t supposed  to be taken, a snapshot off kilter  demands self compassion,  the crepey neck lines   the broadness of a fac...