Wednesday, April 9, 2025

April 9: Girl on the Hillside

 

I wore a long black skirt

with a slit up the left leg,

a red cashmere turtleneck,

thin gold belt loose at the waist.


What town east of the Hudson 

it was, I forget. Whose party too.


The house lit atop a dark hill,

his car parked at the bottom,

wind whipping up from the river

cold and clear as we neared,

he turned and said: I know it’s late…

… but will you be my girlfriend?


So many prescient ills lived

in that sentence, its pauses. 

Blind: I clutched his face 

between woolen gloves,

kissed my own tears,

inhaled foggy relief.


Now I glimpse it all

like night vision: 22,

dearth of worthiness.

No, no, I want to cry 

to the red-sweatered,

gold-belted, 

black-skirted,

wool-gloved girl 

on the hillside.

No, no, you have it

all out of sequence. 

He should kiss you 

through tears here,

will take too much, 

will always hedge

with you at his side.


No comments:

Post a Comment

April 30: At Ithaca Falls

  A photo that wasn’t supposed  to be taken, a snapshot off kilter  demands self compassion,  the crepey neck lines   the broadness of a fac...