Saturday, April 11, 2026

April 11: Hospitality

 



My grandmother used to say 

Don't go empty-handed…

I never heard her speak the words,

words I've inherited from her daughter, 

my mother, who'd rather have been late 

to stop at a bakery or wine shop or florist 

than be on time with nothing in hand. 


Don't go empty-handed!

I told my sons for years, and they 

rolled eyes, shrugged shoulders,

conveniently forgot the tins of cookies 

or gallons of ice cream or bottles of soda.

They said it's not necessary, embarrassing 

to be that kid and I, lover more than fighter

locked into throwdown mode, 

threw fits of rare belligerence. 


Last week my firstborn son 

told me his elderly choir professor 

hosted the whole chorale at home 

to celebrate the season’s end.

She cooked for all assembled,

layers of lasagna, Caesar salad, 

rented round tables, cloth napkins.

He stayed to help do dishes,

collapsed tables, bundled linens,

swept the kitchen, scrubbed counters. 


Hours earlier, he’d been late, 

had stopped at 7-Eleven, bought 

a bag of chips, a tub of dip. 

My mom says don't go empty-handed! 

he told her, his long arms searching 

her highest shelves for a bowl.



Written beside “Red Brocade” by Naomi Shihab Nye

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 30: At Ithaca Falls

  A photo that wasn’t supposed  to be taken, a snapshot off kilter  demands self compassion,  the crepey neck lines   the broadness of a fac...