Wednesday, April 15, 2026

April 15: Gen X Catphishing

 


The summer between ninth and tenth grades

Bonnie* and her group of friends did me dirty.


Shane* pretended to be Max*, and 

I answered the phone, talked with 

who I thought he was…


I think I remember Max (who was Shane) 

say: I’ve had you on my mind lately,

remember now later I did doubt 

its truth but still hope had bubbled—


That was the day I lost faith in friends 

and today I hear Willie Nelson crooning, 

waiting room muzak plumbing memory:


You were always on my mind…

You were always on my mind… 


To those with regret, those who want 

to know how to resist cruelty, consider:

trauma lives long inside the body. 

When I enter any gathering, 

all I do first is doubt.



Written beside “Water” by Rudy Francisco


*Pseudonyms have been used to protect the adolescent unkind 

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 30: At Ithaca Falls

  A photo that wasn’t supposed  to be taken, a snapshot off kilter  demands self compassion,  the crepey neck lines   the broadness of a fac...